We're preparing a new improved streetscape design for Wilson Avenue between Jewell Station and Sydney Road. This work aims to improve pedestrian amenity, walkability and presentation of the street between Jewell Station and Sydney Road.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the draft concept plan. The feedback received has informed the development of the design. We are now seeking feedback on the current concept design, before we prepare the final concept plan.
VIEW THE STREET DESIGN
The current design aims to address the following issues raised in the feedback:
- Improved pedestrian level lighting to increase perceived safety;
- Widening of the footpath and traffic calming treatments, to address traffic dominance;
- Street tree planting and additional vegetation, to increase overall amenity;
- Designated seating and outdoor dining areas; and
- Raised shared areas at both ends of the street, for flexible events and activities.
- Water Sensitive Urban Design and Stormwater Management
- Outdoor dining area with integrated umbrella footings
- New feature trees on widened footpaths
- Planter bed and public seating under trees
- Catenary street lighting and ambience lighting under the seats
- Feature seats which are moveable to cater for events.
- Wayfinding structure with lighting & climbing plants / projecting lamp
- High-quality pavement treatments and accessibility improvements
- Street furniture such as seats, bins, bollards, and a drinking fountain.
TACTICAL URBANISM DESIGN TESTING
As part of the project, a temporary street pavement painting (tactical urbanism) will be undertaken to test the design and will be in place until construction commences. The temporary street painting will show the future footpath lines, tree locations, and two proposed shared zones on Wilson Avenue. The testing result will inform the final concept plan.
JOIN US : STREET PAINTING COMMUNITY ACTIVITY
Local artist Carla Gottgens will paint the feature design "Ropes & Knots" and invites people to add stencils into the artwork. The work is inspired by Brunswick's ropemaking history.
When: Saturday 20 March 2021 between 11-3 pm (postponed from 13 March due to rainy weather)
Where: Wilson Avenue Park, Brunswick
Attendance is optional and free, with no booking required. This is a COVID safe event, please maintain social distancing of 1.5m and stay at home if you are unwell. For current restrictions please visit DHHS website. If you want to be updated for this event please click on '+Follow' button above.
Length of activity: 10-15 minutes per person
Age recommendation: 5 years and above
Equipments: Shoe covering, mask and gloves to prevent spray paint impact will be provided.