Council will be undertaking further streetscape improvement works at Wilson Avenue, Brunswick.
Stage 1 was completed in 2015 and included the permanent closure of Wilson Street to Sydney Road for the construction of a public space. Stage 2 aims to continue the improvement of pedestrian amenity, walkability and presentation of the street between Jewell Station and Sydney Road.
Stage 2 consultation was held from 31 July – 28 August 2020 and we asked the community to provide feedback on our draft concept plan.
Further consultation will be undertaken in November 2020, with construction anticipated for July 2021 - June 2022.
1. We would like to create a better connection for pedestrians between Jewell Station and Sydney Road. How will we achieve this?
2. We would like to encourage active modes of transport on Wilson Avenue. How?
3. Improvements to the quality of the public space that includes:
- High quality materials for footpaths
- Public art
- Street trees and Greenery
- Street furniture i.e. seating, bins, bollards
4. Improve local biodiversity and reduce the urban heat island effect. How?
- Plant trees on both sides of Wilson Avenue, with deciduous trees on the northern side so the street gets sun in the winter.
5. Improve the quality of stormwater
- Raingardens (Water Sensitive Urban Design – WSUD)
6. Provide opportunities for social interaction
- Parklet a flexible space for seating outside Thanks Coffee cafe
- Flexible plaza area at Jewell Station entrance steps