One of the first parks to be delivered as part of A Park Close to Home will be located at 55 - 61 Tinning Street, Brunswick.
Over the last few months we've been busy talking to the local community about features that could go into this new space.
Some key features the community said they would like to see at the new park include:
- Space for children's play, incorporating native plants and materials.
- Lots of trees providing canopy cover for shade.
- A wide variety of play opportunities for a broad age range of children.
- Incorporation of street art and murals by local artists and recognition of local identity in the new park.
- Amenities including toilets, seating, drink bottle refill station, drinking fountain for dogs.
Please note that all images on this web page are conceptual and not an accurate reflection of the final design for the park.
Following a community consultation and voting process, Garrong Park was voted the preferred name for the new park. Garrong means ‘wattle’ in Woi Wurrung language and was suggested by an Elder at the Wurundjeri Tribe Council. The Elder chose a name that children can say. Wattle theming will be highlighted through use of colour, planting and artwork in the park.
Construction update - December 2020
Construction commenced in August 2020, with the park now to be completed by February 2021.