Update: names endorsed
At its meeting of 12 August, Council endorsed the following names:
- Gawan Loop’ for the road shown as Road 1 (R1)
- Wangim Way for the road shown as Road 2 (R2)
- Wirrigirri Close for the road shown as Road 3 (R3)
We're creating three new Council roads within the subdivision at 105 Newlands Road in Coburg North, and all three of these new roads need a name!
Between 23 March and 21 April 2020 we called on the community to suggest names for the three new roads via a formal submission process. Submissions could be made by email, by post or by completing a submission online.
All submissions had to include some background information about why a suggested road name should be considered, and they were required to respond to the criteria set out in Council's Naming Moreland Places Policy and the State Government's Naming Rules for Places in Victoria.
At the 10 June 2020 Council meeting, a report was provided to Council advising of the naming options which were endorsed for inclusion in a voting poll.
The following names were shortlisted:
- McIlwraith - (in recognition of McIlwraith Industries who made stainless steel sinks at the site from 1948-1990);
- Cityview - (in recognition of the city view from the site);
- Enterprise - (in recognition of the new use of the site);
- Wangim (meaning Boomerang in Woi Wurrung language)
- Wirrigirri (meaning Messenger in Woi Wurrung language)
- Gawan (meaning Echidna in Woi Wurrung language)
We're now asking you to vote from the shortlisted names, with those with the most votes becoming the official names of the three roads in Coburg North, subject to State Government approvals.
For the use of Indigenous names, Council has consulted with and obtained approval from the Wurundjeri Tribe Council.
The roads are currently referred to as R1, R2 and R3 (see map below).
Voting will open Sunday 21 June, 2020 and close Tuesday 21 July, 2020.
All votes submitted via Conversations Moreland will be counted, and the name with the most votes will become the official name of the park, pending approvals. If you wish to object to the suggested names, you can write to us explaining why by contacting email@example.com.