We want to make the Merri Creek area safer and more accessible. A place where you feel safe and welcome to spend time with friends and family – or on your own.
A big thank you goes to all of the community members who took the time to share their thoughts and feelings about safety along Merri Creek.
We received over 900 contributions from our online survey and our interactive map, an amazing result! This fantastic response made it very clear that our community has a strong interest in working together to develop positive actions towards safety in public spaces just like Merri Creek.
Some of the key things you shared with us:
- You love that Merri Creek provides a space close to nature and a place for exercise
- Many of you also use it for leisure activities such as picnics, dog walking, playing and bird watching.
- Many respondents enjoyed walking their dogs and meeting and chatting with other dog walkers in the Coburg Merri Creek area.
- It’s a way to avoid busy streets
- Joe’s Garden near Harding Street is a very popular space and the events and activities held here are important to bring community
- It’s important to you that the natural qualities of the area are protected
- You think community safety education across the community is important, particularly around attitudes and behaviour towards women
- When it comes to feeling safe, it’s important to you that Merri Creek feels welcoming and accommodating. This includes things like litter, responsible dog, wayfinding signage and connections to surrounding streets.
April 2021 update
Since we completed this piece of work, here’s what we’re doing with the information you told us:
- We formed an internal working group – featuring key Council areas such as Local Laws, Parks and Open Spaces, Community Development, to ensure that this project is viewed from all aspects of Council. This group will be developing a series of recommendations for Council to consider.
- We’ve installed additional signage and artwork along Merri Creek to inform dog owners on when their dogs need to be on a leash, so everyone feels safe and comfortable when going for a walk or cycle along to track.
We’ll be providing more updates on how this project is progressing in around June 2021, and presenting a report to Council with a number of actions and recommendations.
If you have a query about Merri Creek and our other open spaces across Moreland, contact us on 9240 1111.